X-Men: Days of Future Past is an upcoming American superhero film, based on the fictional X-Men characters appearing in Marvel Comics and on the 1981 Uncanny X-Men storyline "Days of Future Past" by Chris Claremont and John Byrne. Directed by Bryan Singer, it is the seventh film in the X-Men film series and the third X-Men film directed by Singer after 2000's X-Men and 2003's X2. It stars anensemble cast including Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Halle Berry, Anna Paquin, Ellen Page,Shawn Ashmore, Nicholas Hoult, Peter Dinklage, Ian McKellen, and Patrick Stewart. The story is written by Simon Kinberg, Matthew Vaughn and Jane Goldman, with Kinberg writing the screenplay.
Days of Future Past acts as a sequel to both 2006's X-Men: The Last Stand and 2011's X-Men: First Class, as well as a follow-up to 2013's The Wolverine. Principal photography began in April 2013 in Montreal, Canada and ended in August 2013.
The film was shot in 3D and is scheduled to be released on May 23, 2014
The X-Men ensemble fights a war for the survival of the species across two time periods in X-Men: Days of Future Past. The characters from the original X-Men film trilogy join forces with their younger selves from X-Men: First Class in a battle in which they must change the past – to save their future.
- Hugh Jackman as Logan / Wolverine:
- A mutant with accelerated healing, enhanced senses, adamantium-laced skeleton and retractable bone and adamantium claws. With the mutant race on the verge of extinction, Wolverine's healing factor makes him the only X-Man capable of withstanding the rigors of time travel. He'll have to survive long enough to complete the most important mission of his life: to go back in time to prevent a chain of events that will bring about the end of mutantkind. Director Bryan Singer stated that "Hugh of the future is sent, his consciousness is sent into his younger self [and] Hugh gets to play both parts because [Wolverine] is ageless." Writer Simon Kinberg explained in an interview why Wolverine is the time traveler and he stated "We made the decision for a lot of reasons... One reason is that he's the protagonist of the franchise, and probably the most beloved character to a mass audience."
- James McAvoy and Patrick Stewart as Charles Xavier / Professor X:
- The world's most powerful telepath. Xavier has watched the mutant race be slowly hunted down. But now the time has come to lead his X-Men in their greatest battle; both in the present and the past. Singer described the younger Xavier as being "a very different beast from First Class' feckless playboy. He's a wounded animal, bearded, long-haired, filled with rage at the way the world has treated him." According to Stewart, there will be an explanation for Professor X's return after he was vaporized by Jean Greyin X-Men: The Last Stand. Professor X's return was previously alluded to during a post-credits scene in X-Men: The Last Standand a mid-credits scene in The Wolverine.
- Michael Fassbender and Ian McKellen as Erik Lehnsherr / Magneto:
- A mutant with the ability to manipulate metallic objects and described as "one of the most powerful mutants on earth". Magneto was at odds with Professor X and the X-Men for decades. But with mutant annihilation on the horizon, old animosities have to give way to new alliances. Singer described McKellen's role as "also a fixture in the future war, facing an enemy so monstrous that it forces former foes to band together."
- Jennifer Lawrence as Raven Darkhölme / Mystique:
- A mutant with the ability of shape-shifting. Singer stated that Mystique "is less innocent, evolved, getting closer to where Mystique was in X-Men 2." Lawrence revealed that Mystique is split off from Lensherr and Xavier and she has one mission of trying to assassinate somebody. She added "we’ve seen her [Mystique] in the future and what she becomes and this is kind of a turning point for her."
- Halle Berry as Ororo Munroe / Storm:
- A mutant with the ability to manipulate the elements. One of the most battle-tested and powerful X-Men, she will lead the X-Men in the toughest challenge they have ever faced. Berry stated that "there’s something very revealing and shocking about Storm in this movie. There are some things you find out about her that I think give you much more insight into who she is." When asked about if her pregnancy affected Storm's role, she replied "I wasn’t in as much as I was meant to be. My ever-growing belly was posing a constant challenge! What I could do was getting more limited so the role that I play is so different from what it could have been, due to my surprise pregnancy."
- Anna Paquin as Rogue:
- A mutant with the ability to absorb the life force and mutant abilities of anyone she touches.
- Ellen Page as Kitty Pryde:
- A mutant with the ability to phase through solid objects. The youngest of the X-Men, she'll play an important role in their fight for survival. Singer described Pryde as the prime facilitator and that Pryde's phasing ability enables time-travel to happen.
- Peter Dinklage as Bolivar Trask:
- A military scientist and the head of Trask Industries who created a range of robots called Sentinels whose purpose is to hunt and destroy mutants. Dinklage stated that Trask "sees what he’s doing as a good thing — [his ambition is] definitely blind and he’s quite arrogant. He’s strove all his life for a certain respect and attention." He also stated that Trask is up against Richard Nixon.
- Nicholas Hoult as Hank McCoy / Beast:
- A mutant with super-strength, agility and speed.
- Shawn Ashmore as Bobby Drake / Iceman:
- A mutant with the ability to create and manipulate ice. When Ashmore was asked about what can be expected to see how his character's relationship with Rogue has evolved since X-Men: The Last Stand, he replied "they’re constantly having these relationship issues so we’ll see what happens."
- Omar Sy as Bishop:
- A mutant with the ability to absorb energy to redirect it in kinetic blasts. Sy described Bishop as the guy from the future and that he fights for survival. Singer revealed that Bishop, along with Warpath, Sunspot and Blink, are not fresh recruits. He stated "they’re more refugees that are living day to day in this hideously ruined world. They don’t have much hope in the future. They’re on the run and they join forces with the remaining X-Men to try to do this one last attempt at fixing the world."
- Daniel Cudmore as Peter Rasputin / Colossus:
- A mutant with the ability to transform his skin into organic steel.
- Booboo Stewart as James Proudstar / Warpath:
- A mutant with super-strength, near invulnerability and the ability of flight.
- Fan Bingbing as Blink:
- A mutant with the ability to create portals to teleport.
- Adan Canto as Sunspot:
- A mutant with solar-powered super-strength and near invulnerability.
- Evan Peters as Pietro Maximoff / Quicksilver:
- A mutant with the ability to run at supersonic speeds. Peters described Quicksilver as "very fast, he talks quick, he moves quick. Everything else is very slow compared to him, it’s like he’s always at the ATM waiting for the bastard in front of him to finish."
- Josh Helman as William Stryker:
- A military man who hates mutants.
- Lucas Till as Alex Summers / Havok:
- A mutant with the ability to absorb cosmic energy and release it in plasma blasts.
- Evan Jonigkeit as Toad:
- A mutant with super-strong legs, prehensile tongue and paralyzing mucus.
- Ink will also appear. Kelsey Grammer is set to make a cameo appearance as future Beast.