Godzilla is an upcoming American science fiction monster film featuring the Japanese film monster of the same name in a reboot of theGodzilla film franchise. The film retells the origin of Godzilla in contemporary times as a "terrifying force of nature" in a style faithful to theToho series of Godzilla films. The film is directed by British filmmaker Gareth Edwards, written by Max Borenstein and stars Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Ken Watanabe, Elizabeth Olsen, Juliette Binoche, Sally Hawkins, David Strathairn and Bryan Cranston.
The film is a co-production between Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures, the latter of which will also distribute the film worldwide, except in Japan where it will be distributed by Toho. It is the second Godzilla film to be fully filmed[Note 1] by an American studio, the first having been the 1998 Godzilla. This film is scheduled to be released in North America on May 16, 2014 and Japan July 25, 2014 in 2D and 3D.
In 1999, a devastating catastrophe engulfs Japan's Janjira nuclear power plant. Among the many casualties is US nuclear physicist Sandra Brody, leaving her husband and co-worker, Joseph "Joe" Brody (Bryan Cranston) completely devastated and the family bond between the remaining family members included Joe himself and their son Ford as a result. Fifteen years later, Joe remains convinced that a natural disaster was not responsible. He believes there's been a high-level cover-up. His quest for the truth reunites him with the now-grown Ford (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) who works as a US Navy lieutenant. Among those drawn into joining their mission are Ford's wife Elle (Elizabeth Olsen) and military commander Admiral Stenz (David Strathairn). Japanese scientist Ichiro Serizawa (Ken Watanabe) quickly recognises that man's abuse of nature is responsible for the mighty, radiation-enhanced monster known as Godzilla to awaken.
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson as US Navy Lieutenant Ford Brody
- Ken Watanabe as Dr. Ishiro Serizawa, a scientist.
- Elizabeth Olsen as Elle Brody, Ford's wife, a nurse.
- Juliette Binoche as Sandra "Sandy" Brody, Ford's mother, a nuclear regulations consultant at the Janjira nuclear plant.
- Sally Hawkins as Dr. Vivienne Graham, a scientist who works alongside Serizawa.
- David Strathairn as US Navy Admiral William Stenz
- Bryan Cranston as Joseph "Joe" Brody, Ford's father, a nuclear physicist and former engineer at the Janjira nuclear plant