World War Z is an upcoming apocalyptic horror film directed by Marc Forster and written by Matthew Michael Carnahan. It is based on thenovel of the same name by Max Brooks. Brad Pitt stars as Gerry Lane, a worker at the United Nations, as he searches the globe for information that can stop the zombie outbreak that is bringing down nations.
Plan B Entertainment secured the film rights in 2007 and Forster was approached to direct. In 2009, Carnahan was hired to rewrite the script to the film. Filming began in July 2011 in Malta on an estimated $125 million budget, before moving to Glasgow in August 2011 and Budapest in October 2011. Originally set for a December 2012 release, the production suffered some setbacks. In June 2012, the film's release date was pushed back and the crew returned to Budapest for seven weeks of additional shooting. Damon Lindelof was hired to rewrite the third act, but did not have the time to finish the script and Drew Goddard was hired to rewrite it. The reshoots were due to take place between September and October 2012.
As a zombie pandemic traverses the globe, United Nations employee Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt) travels the world trying to find a way to stop the pandemic that is defeating armies and collapsing governments.
- Brad Pitt as Gerry Lane, a U.N. employee who scours the world, interviewing survivors of the zombie apocalypse, referred to as World War Z.
- Mireille Enos as Karin, Lane's wife and mother of their two children.
- James Badge Dale as Captain Speke, an American soldier who "tries to warn the government that the threat of zombies is real."
- Lucy Aharish as a young Palestinian woman.
- Julia Levy-Boeken
- Matthew Fox
- Elyes Gabel as Fassbach
- Bryan Cranston
- David Morse as a prisoner living in an abandoned jail.
- Abigail Hargrove as Rachel Lane.
World War Z is due to be released on June 21, 2013 in 2D and RealD 3D selected theaters.