Epic (stylized as epic) is an upcoming 2013 American 3D computer animated fantasy-adventure drama film based on William Joyce's children book The Leaf Men and the Brave Good Bugs. It is being produced by Blue Sky Studios, and directed by Chris Wedge, the director of Ice Age (2002) and Robots (2005). It stars the voices of Amanda Seyfried, Josh Hutcherson, Christoph Waltz, Steven Tyler, Aziz Ansari, Pitbull, Jason Sudeikis, with Beyoncé and Colin Farrell. The film is scheduled to be released on May 24, 2013.
The film is described as a "battle deep in the forest between the forces of good and evil", and tells a story of a teenage girl who finds herself in a secret world, where she must help a team of fun and whimsical characters to save their world, which also saves the real world.
A young girl named Mary Katharine lives in a cabin in the woods with her father and dog. Her father, Prof. Bomba, has long studied a group of warriors who live in the forest and protect it as guardians of good. He often will go into the forest and survey them.
One day, Prof. Bomba does not return from a hike in the forest, so Mary Katharine sets out to look for him. Hours later, she comes upon a group of glowing, falling leaves. Catching one of them, she is suddenly shrunken down.
In her miniscule state, she discovers the group of warriors Prof. Bomba has studied, who are known as the Leafmen. She soon is forced to assist them in a war against forces of evil known as the Boggans whilst trying to find out how to return home.
- Amanda Seyfried as Mary Katherine
- Josh Hutcherson as Nod, a rookie Leafmen warrior
- Colin Farrell as Ronin, a seasoned Leafmen warrior
- Beyoncé as Queen Tara, Mother Nature-like queen of the forest
- Christoph Waltz as Mandrake, the leader of Boggans
- Aziz Ansari as Mub, a slug
- Pitbull as Bufo
- Jason Sudeikis as Prof. Bomba, Mary Katherine's father
- Steven Tyler as Nim Galuu
- Blake Anderson as Dagda
- Judah Friedlander as Larry
- Chris O'Dowd as Grub, a snail